Summer Camp Counselor
Camp Counselors work as a team to ensure campers have safe, enriching, and vibrant summer experiences at Jameson Camp. In this role you will collaborate closely with the Summer Camp Manager and other program staff to lead indoor and outdoor activies for campers ages 5-17 who may or may not have social, emotional, behavioral, or developmentmental disabilities.
You can make it possible to empower youth by removing barriers to healthy and vibrant experiences in nature. As a Camp Counslor, your primary responsibility is to ensure the physical and emotional safety of campers.
- Plan events, outdoor activities, and sports for groups of campers
- Create weekly and daily schedules that accomodate camper ability and interest
- Lead recreational and educational activities
- Escort and supervise children
- Educate campers through games and explorations
- Set up and maintain equipment
- Act as mediator for conflicts between campers and address minor behavioral issues
- Ensure all rules are followed by campers
- Aid in maintainign the cleanliness of cabins, recreational areas, and natural spaces, including ensuring campers don’t litter
- Perform first aid and recognize when emergency services may be needed
- Keep accurate records of incidents using internal incident logs
You will be successful in this role if you have:
- A love for children
- Energetic and positive personality
- Familiarity with camping and outdoor recreation
- Organizational and communication skills
- High school diploma
- Some college preferred
- First aid and CPR certification preferred
- 1 year of experience as camp counselor, or a similar role working with groups of children
- Reliable transportation or the ability to live on-site
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job (strength and stamina to follow strenuous activities like hiking, running, crouching or carrying children)
Benefits and Compensation
- $250-350 per week
- Meals and housing provided.
- Staff discount on camp tuition for children or siblings
- Opportunities for professional development including ropes course and climbing certifications, life guard certifications, and First Aid/CPR certification.
We are watching COVID-19 closely to determine the next steps for 2023.